Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome to 2014!



I saw this meme on a friend's facebook and I loved it! Last night was full of friends and family either posting cynical memes/status updates like this, or doing exactly what this meme is making fun of. I'm not sure where this update will fall, but here it goes.

2013 wasn't bad. It was the year that made me honestly kick my own ass. It was my wake up call. It told me to get out of a situation that I hated, put myself out there (despite the possibility of rejection), and CHANGE my life. So really, I'm grateful for 2013. Or at least who I chose to be in 2013. I uprooted my family and moved to a physical and emotional place that has already proven to be leaps and bounds better than I was experiencing before. And as I type these words, I realize that I'm actually really proud of myself. Go me! *pats back*

So... despite the lack of income, the nightmare 6-week nanny experience, the car accident, the emotional roller coaster that is grad school, and the last few days with the flu. I guess I'm just realizing that 2013 was a year of tremendous growth. I didn't fall into a deep, dark depression after my car accident and instead I really am focusing on getting stronger. A whole new body and mind transformation, if you will. And, it just so happens to be coming at the start of the new calendar year.

So resolutions... I don't really do resolutions because generally I think they are stupid excuses to do something you should do anyway. And then I don't do them, as Tony Stark suggests, and then I get all disappointed that I failed YET AGAIN. But this year, this moment... I feel a change trying to make it's way to the surface. That given my circumstance, THIS IS THE TIME. Not because it's January 1st. Or even because I'm about to start a new year of being (27?!) ... Just because this is the time.

Okay, I could go on and on about how disappointed I've been with my weight and health and general well being, but instead of focusing on the negative, I'm going to start with what made me happy before my car accident.

A few posts ago I had been sharing pictures of the new, creative meals I was cooking. Drew was traveling for work... It was just me cooking for me. No other influences. And I made some delicious meals. Then, the car accident struck (pun intended) and Drew started working two jobs and neither of us were cooking. Cooking made me happy, I need to remember that. And now that January starts the extremely busy part of my school year, I'm either going to have to come up with a routine or I know I'm going to continue to eat McDonald's breakfast 3x/week. Expensive and nasty, I know.

So this morning I busted out my Practical Paleo book. In the past I have rushed into things like the Whole 30 (which I still 100% want to do, and hope to do by the end of Feb 2014)... instead of easing into things like this. It's hard to have the willpower to go from eating pizza multiple times a week to ONLY eating super strict things. I only ever made it 10 days, and I am sure that within those 10 days I slipped up somewhere somehow. So, like I said, we got out the Practical Paleo book and just started going through the recipes, one by one. I started to flag which ones sounded good and as the pages kept turning, Drew and I decided that we are going to do at least one recipe from the book until we run out of the flagged recipes. There are 31 "dinner" recipes that we flagged. A few breakfast recipes, desserts and side dishes to try as well. Our (my, because Drew is now sleeping with a cat on his back) hope is that we will cook one recipe from each category per week.. And in doing this, it will shape the rest of the week's menu as well. This opens up so many opportunities: eating better, cooking for ourselves, spending LESS money on eating out, spending time together, opening us up to trying new things... etc. I'm actually supper excited to do this and I think Drew likes that I'm getting excited about cooking, so he's happy too (I can tell by the snores coming from that side of the bed right now...)

Anyway... Expect pictures, lists of meals and more details to come!

Also:

5 days until I begin student teaching in a 2nd grade classroom
18 days until my birthday!
34 days until Drew's birthday and 79 days until our honeymoon! (it kind of feels silly still calling it a honeymoon, but damnit, it is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment